Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 19:39:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best /var/mail permissions?

Pine wants me to set mode 1777 on /var/mail, and doing so makes Pine much
faster at some operations like expunge and checking for new mail when I
hit `n' at the end of the message index.  `make world' seems to reset
/var/mail to 770 however.  I know mode 1777 lets users slip files up to
their quota limits into /var/mail but know of no other dangers to that
mode.

Is there a major reason I should not (or should, for that matter) use mode
1777 for /var/mail?

--
Doug Lee
dgl@visi.com