Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 2000 21:32:27 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@worldnet.fr>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.0RELEASE and 3COM589EC

Philippe CASIDY stated:
: Hi!
:
: I am coming back with my PCMCIA 3COM589E combo! I managed to make it
: work with 3.4R and when I received 4.0R I updated my laptop.
:
: Unfortunately, I cannot make it working.
:
: I have used several pccard.conf (copied from 4.0R pccard.conf.sample)
: and every time I get the followings messages:
: - on first insertion: No IRQ!!
: - on others insertion: No I/O space!!
:
: Note: I have changed rc.conf to take /etc/pccard.conf.
:
: Any help is welcome!

Philippe-

This looks like an irq issue.  Output from dmesg and a copy of the
kernel config might help here.

0) What IRQs are free on this machine?  This is important since
   FreeBSD's pcic code doesn't work with shared interrupts.

1) Did sysinstall set the

pccard_flags

variable in /etc/rc.conf (or did you install from cdrom?)  This will
override any irq settings inside /etc/pccard.conf

2) What is in your kernel config:

# 3Com 3C589E
device ep

# Use pcic in polling mode  (free up an irq)
device card
device pcic0 at isa?

3) For /etc/pccard.conf, I recommend only putting in the cards taht
   you are using _and_ only known free irqs and in the order that you
   want them to be used

4) Delete any excess device entries from the kernel.

5) Watch out for oddball stuff in /boot/kernel.conf messing things up

6) Consider moving to 4.1-RELEASE .. there were many improvements to
   the pccard code between 4.0-R and 4.1-R

Hope this helps,

Sean O'Connell                                       sean@stat.Duke.EDU