Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:57:04 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Automatic reboot out of the blue.

--GdbWtwDHkcXqP16f

John Baldwin wrote:

> With an ELF kernel (such as we've had since 3.1), the debugging
> symbols are skipped over when the kernel is loaded, so the memory
> usage will stay the same.

Aha, thanks.  The handbook says this:

You may also install the unstripped kernel, but symbol table lookup time
for some programs will drastically increase, and since the whole kernel
is loaded entirely at boot time and cannot be swapped out later, several
megabytes of physical memory will be wasted.

You're saying that's wrong?  If so, I may as well make use of my new
commit bit and fix it. :-) Is the bit about symbol talble lookup time
still correct?  If so, I suggest removing everything from "and since"
onwards.  There's another problem with that bit, which is addressed in
a PR I'm looking at (basically it says to copy the kernel and strip it,
but this is done for you these days).

--=20
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D

--GdbWtwDHkcXqP16f