Date:      15 Feb 2000 01:22:22 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Stanley Hopcroft <Stanley.Hopcroft@IPAustralia.Gov.AU>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can I add a PPP interface with a cost ?

Stanley Hopcroft <Stanley.Hopcroft@IPAustralia.Gov.AU> writes:

> Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> I am writing to ask please would you help me configure user PPP to add
> the tun0 interface (to the routing table) with a non zero cost
> (alternatively update the route table so that the former default route
> has its cost increased but remains usable while the route through tun0
> becomes the new default route).
>
> The intent is to allow dual homed machines (typically ethernet and
> modem) to dial an ISP while continuing to work on their LAN.
>
> I would like to do this on a 3.4-RELEASE machine.

I don't know if that is what you want to do, but the ppp.linkup and
ppp.linkdown scripts can be used for routing table hacking, AFAIK.

You can put `add default HISADDR' in ppp.conf and have the ISP become
the default gateway when ppp is on.  Then on ppp.linkdown you can put a
similar statement to return the default route to your ethernet.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
For my public PGP key: finger keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr