Date:      Mon, 01 Oct 2001 10:05:02 -0400
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@rit.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.4-Release on 386DX w/ 8MB RAM

Dear folks,

I've been using FreeBSD since just before 3.2, so I'm not new at this, but
I have run into a problem and I have no idea as to exactly what's causing
it. Please let me know if you need more information and I'll do my best to
provide whatever you need.

I tried to do an FTP install of 4.4-Release on an old 386-40 w/ 8MB of RAM,
but the install fails immediately after I setup the network. I receive the
error message, "Cannot resolve hostname '[Insert arbitrary FTP site name]'!
Are you sure that the name server, gateway and network interface are
correctly configured?"

I am not using IPv6 or DHCP. Everything is specified correctly and
identical settings work with 4.3-Release, which installed and ran
flawlessly. Specifying an FTP site by IP address also fails.

This is not an upgrade installation - the hard disk was wiped a short time
ago and I am starting from scratch. I am using a 3COM 3C509 in this
machine. After the kernel configuration, all devices seem to be correctly
probed.

When I receive the error, switching the console using Alt-F2 shows an
obvious problem. At the very bottom are two lines that read as follows:

DEBUG: ifconfig ep0 inet 192.168.10.1  netmask 255.255.255.0pid 19 (sh),
uid 0 was killed: out of swap space
DEBUG: Adding default route to 192.168.10.254pid 20 (sh), uid0 was killed:
out of swap space

There are other similar messages preceding these two stating "out of swap
space," but none of these are pertinent to the network setup, nor are they
prepended with "DEBUG:" They also appear during the 4.3 install so I
presume, perhaps incorrectly, they are not critical.

Did 4.4-Release introduce heightened memory requirements that make
installation impossible on a machine with 8MB of RAM? Is this a very
strange install bug? Or am I simply doing something wrong?

I will leave the machine as is until I can figure out what happened.
Truthfully, there is little reason for me to be running 4.4 on this machine
instead of 4.3. If 4.4 introduced new requirements that are as yet
undocumented, I'm hoping to help someone else avoid future problems - even
if not too many people have 386 8MB machines in production these days. :)

Any help would be appreciated! Let me know if you need more specifics.

         Matt

--
Matt Penna        soba@usagiyojimbo.com        mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM