Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 10:47:40 -0400
From:      sbabkin@dcn.att.com
To:        smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: NIC drivers

Do you have heavy disk load ? This card has small buffer size
so it's sensitive to interrupt delays. Another problem is that in
case of buffer overflow it has to be reset. But when the watchdog
routine discovers this, it restores just fine and the problem
generally occurs not that often. Of course, if it was
not broken again (I've fixed it twice but I don't have these cards
any more so I have no interest in doing that once more :-).
A good solution would be to have high-frequency watchdog
routine (say, 5 times a second), it would reduce the delays in
case of overflow considerably and still bring less CPU load
than the solution used in BSDI when the interrupt is delivered
at beginning of receiving of a packet and the CPU idles
in a loop until it gets the whole packet.

> (160 kbps). Gimme an Intel EtherExpress.

Sure, _now_, when you can get 100Mbps EtherExpress for
the same money, nobody would buy 3c509. But a few years ago
it was a good enough solution.

-Serge Babkin
whose old e-mail address was babkin@hq.icb.chel.su