Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 2009 20:04:22 +0300
From:      Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq@gmail.com>
To:        jjr@larush.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to boot after upgrade to 7.0 or 7.1 STABLE

Thanks John

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 7:43 PM, <jjr@larush.com> wrote:

> I entered ufs:ad7s1a and booted the kernel when I
> recognized that the drive had been re-named from ad9 to ad7.  After
> booting, I changed /etc/fstab appropiately and have had no further
> problems.  I've never run into this with previous upgrades, very odd.

Unfortunately, this does not work for me. I tried this from the onset of the
problem and ended up with nothing. I got as far as ad15s1a (yeah... pushing
it as far as I could) with no results.

I cannot seem to get any further than mountroot>

how did you notice that the drive numbering had moved from ad9 to ad7?

I have booted into single user mode with verbose logging and i see no
reference to any adx devices. I do see ata entries which recognise the disk
as a Intel ICH7 SATA300 and ata0 being reference at atapci0, but other than
that, I see no references to any adx. When i boot the RELEASE kernel, i get
this

ata0-master: pio=PIO4 wdma=WDMA2 udma=UDMA100 cable=40 wire
ad0: 152627MB <WDC WD1600AAJS-60PSA0 21.12M21> at ata0-master SATA150
ad0: 312581808 sectors [310101C/16H/63S] 16 sectors/interrupt 1 depth queue

When i boot the 7.1 STABLE kernel, with verbose logging, i get this

ata0-master: pio=PIO4 wdma=WDMA2 udma=UDMA100 cable=40 wire
ata1: reiniting channel

and then the famous mountroot>

Thanks

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
a million chances happen 99% of the time.