Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:20:30 GMT
From:      Angus MacGyver <macgyver@calibre-solutions.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: alpha/75637: Packages/INDEX not found when trying to install packages via FTP from sysintall.

The following reply was made to PR alpha/75637; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Angus MacGyver <macgyver@calibre-solutions.co.uk>
To: Wilko Bulte <wb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: alpha/75637: Packages/INDEX not found when trying to install
	packages via FTP from sysintall.
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:15:14 +0000

 On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 23:11, Wilko Bulte wrote:
 > On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 10:51:54PM +0000, Angus MacGyver wrote..
 > >
 > > >Number:         75637
 > > >Category:       alpha
 > > >Synopsis:       Packages/INDEX not found when trying to install packages via FTP from sysintall.
 > > >Confidential:   no
 > > >Severity:       non-critical
 > > >Environment:
 > > FreeBSD test3bsd 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Fri Nov  5 11:30:09 UTC 2004     root@ds10.wbnet:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  alpha

 > > Unable to install any pre-built packages from FTP using sysinstall program.
 > >
 > > Choose the FTP site (I am choosing ftp.frebsd.org, as got same problems with the UK and US mirrors)
 > >
 > > The program then looks up the IP, and appears to login to the FTP server..
 > >
 > > Then the error message appears as follows.
 > >
 > > Unable to get packages/INDEX file from selected media
 > > This may be because the packages collection is not available on the distribution media you've chosen, most likely an FTP site without the packages collection mirrored.  Please verify that your media, or your path to the media, is correct and try again.
 > >
 > > >How-To-Repeat:
 > > Completely minimum install from either CD or FTP and do a mimimum installation, and let it complete.
 > >
 > > At any point after the initial installation or after the initial reboot after installation, try to use sysinstall to install pre-built packages via FTP.
 > >
 > > The X86 version of 5.3 does not exhibit this problem.
 > > >Fix:
 > > If only I knew :(
 >
 > Well... ahum... there was a symlink missing on the ftp-master site that
 > points to the right directory containing the package sets for 5.3R.
 >
 > I corrected this on ftp-master but it will take some time for the ftp
 > mirrors to pick it up.  Can you give it another try in a couple of hours?
 > (I do not know how often the ftp-mirrors update).
 >
 > Please let me know if it works or not.
 >
 > Wilko
 >
 > (NB: 4.10-R was suffering from the same problem, no-one seems to have
 > noticed apparantly)

 Hi Wilko.

 5.3 appears to work from the master site.

 The UK sites however, appear to have not yet updated.
 (and UK 3 and 4 appear not to have 5.3 release at all..)

 Anyway, thanks for your speedy response.

 Cheers

 AM