Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:55:53 -0200
From:      Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andy Sporner <sporner@nentec.de>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sharing files within a cluster

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 02:26:10PM +0100, Andy Sporner wrote:
> Michael Grant wrote:
>
> >Bob Bishop wrote:
>
> However, what's wrong with this if you also failover NFS???  I wrote
> this to another
> recipient privately, but I put this here too as a possible scenario...
>
> I am also looking into the porting of the drbd code that Bob Bishop
> mentioned earlier.  I am not a real "Fan" of the idea of shared SCSI.
> I have seen it work and have worked on such systems, but it has some
> very significant drawbacks.  I like the idea of a network distributed
> collection of raw devices that can be brought together in a VINUM
> kind of way so that redundancy is assured.  I have no problem with
> NFS as long as the underlying backing store is redundant.  Then the
> NFS server can fail to anywhere in the cluster.  Take this example.

	I might be saying something foolish but have any of you investigated
GEOM? It might be possible to write an abstraction layer for it that will
enable some of the necessary features:

	- localization transparency
	- distribution
	- disconnected mode
	- blabla... unfortunaly, FreeBSD based only as GEOM is only
	  supported for FreeBSD for now

- GEOM's Author Page
http://www.freebsd.org/~phk/Geom/
- Status Report on GEOM
http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-sept-2002-oct-2002.html#GEOM---generalized-block-storage-manipulation
- FreeBSD GEOM man page
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=geom&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+5.0-current&format=html

	Regards,

--
Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
Computer Science Undergraduate | FreeBSD Committer | CS Developer