Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:56:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        FreeBSD-STABLE <FreeBSD-STABLE@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New kernel with its ATA drivers damages the filesystem

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Jason Garman wrote:

>Whats your motherboard?  I just trashed an ASUS P2V (which also has a VIA
>chipset on it) -- same problems, under all OSes that used DMA on the
>drive.  Unfortunate, really.  Got a new Abit BE6 instead, works like a
>dream.  Highly recommended.

Yeah, this is the same reason I'm hesitant to jump into the Athlon
world.  The companies that have been backing AMD's chips are just
horrible at chipsets.  I'd still much prefer a good, solid Intel
chipset, and for IDE/UDMA definitely a PIIX- series controller.  Too
bad, because otherwise the Athlon is a nice platform.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
    "...and as for hackers, we note that all of those known to
    The Register are so strapped financially that seizing their