Date:      05 Aug 96 10:10:22 EDT
From:      Jan Knepper <100626.3506@CompuServe.COM>
To:        "[FreeBSD Hackers]" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   100BASE-TX hubs

/* I was thinking of building a small 100BASE-TX network at home to try and
stress-test our NFS code and also investigate its performance... */

<grin> An otherone that goes for the *real* stuff...

/* It seems to me that I need a hub of some kind but I can't find any reasonably
priced 100BASE-TX products at all. */

I am afraid there aren't. The expensive thing in 100 Mb is still the HUB. I use
an HP 100VG HUB here. I think it costed like USD 2000 or something like that. It
has 15 ports though. The Ethernet cards are not as expensive. I mean the
difference between a 3Com 10 Mb (PCI) and HP 100VG 100 Mb (PCI) is not that bad.

I remember when I was looking for the 100 Mbps stuff I also looked at Intel
stuff. at that time they had an offer with 4 Ethernet adapters 100 Mb and a HUB
with 4 ports for a reasonable price. However extending that stuff was almost
impossible.

Also: Don't forget that if you go with a certain brand you better buy everything
of that brand. I for instance refuse to use HP with Intel or 3Com. Regarding the
words of the Intel people these 100 Mb things are going to be different for some
time. It is not as standardized as 10 Mb is at this moment.  I for instance
tried to use the Ethernet_802.12 frame for NetWare instead of 802.2 or 802.3
since 802.12 seems to be the standard voor 100 Mb, but no go there yet so far...

/* Alternatively, can I avoid a hub altogether? */

Nop! For 100 Mb you NEED a HUB.

/* I vaguely remember something about a wire-swapped cable which
could connect two systems together. */

Well, there are different wire's for different tasks...

/* How would I go about buying/making such a cable? */

BUY you cables for 100 Mb, selfmade often does not work because of quality
aspects.

/* On the other hand, maybe I will just scrounge some old 10Mbps equipment */

<nag> you will LOVE 100 Mb!!!
On my daily work, developing C++ under NT I run everything over the 100 Mb to
the Novell NetWare file server. Compilers/Sources/Libs. This way I can access
the stuff from more than one workstation at the same time. The performance is
incredible and there is not that much loss compared to local SCSI-2 disk in the
development machine.

Have fun!
Jan Knepper