Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 1995 21:36:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Super-User <root@aries.fb3.noaa.gov>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc for freebsd?

On Mon, 20 Nov 1995, Super-User wrote:

> Sorry to bother you -
>
> Gcc is conspicuous by it's absence from your "ported" lists.  Is it not
> portable to freebsd?

That's because GCC 2.6.3 is the system compiler, and not part of the
ports collection.  You get gcc whether of not you get any ports
applications.

  If it isn't, then how did you get gnu f77 working?
> I thought g77 relied on gcc as it's back end!  Also, I noticed the text
> associated with bcc - "can do 16-bit code".  Is freebsd a 16-bit OS?

No, FreeBSD is a fully 32 bit OS.  There is no dual memory map, or
anything like multiple memory models from DOS.

> Thanks for your insights,
> Steve Harris

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;