Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 1999 10:28:23 +0800 (WST)
From:      Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
To:        ronald@node11a94.a2000.nl (Ronald 'Ko' Klop)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: voice mail for FreeBSD

[Empty subject created]

> Hi,
>
> Is there a program which can make a answering machine of a voice modem
> for FreeBSD (or running in Linux mode)?
> I didn't find it in the /usr/ports/comms.
> Can somebody give me a pointer?

Have a look at the `mgetty' package. You can find it under:

   /usr/ports/comms/mgetty+sendfax

Inside the mgetty package is another program, vgetty, that is meant to be
able to use the voice capabilities of *some* modems.

I've not tried vgetty (I use mgetty), but according to the documentation that
I've read it is quite hard to get voice+fax+data working well on the one
modem. You can have any two of the three, but not all!

The documentation for mgetty is Linux oriented, but you shouldn't have
too many problems using it in a BSD environment. One major difference that
comes to mind is that Linux spawns off the mgetty process (when answering the
phone) from /etc/inittab, whereas BSD uses /etc/ttys.

> Thanx,
>
> Please reply by CC: to me also.
>
> Ronald.

Have Fun