Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 2009 16:33:28 +0200
From:      Jochen Fahrner <freebsd@fahrners.de>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation fails after creating disklabel

Am 10.04.2009 um 14:16 schrieb Bruce Cran:

> There's also a PR about this:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=powerpc/93203

Yes, that's the problem.

> I think the issue is that fdisk doesn't know how to deal with the
> Apple
> Partition Map (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Partition_Map).
> Hopefully things will be better with 8.0 since it'll use gpart for
> partitioning.

fdisk and disklabel are two separate things. fdisk splits the disk
into slices. disklabel splits the slice into partitions. The terms
are a bit confusing: "Partitions" in the Windows world are "slices"
in the BSD world.

There is no fdisk for the PPC, so you have to use Apple disk utility
for creating slices.
Disklabel should work exactly as on i386 platforms.

IMHO the problem with disklabel is the following:
the partitions have the same device names as the slices, so mounting
the second partitions goes wrong.

I used slice ad0s5 for my BSD. So disklabel should generate
partitions ad0s5p1, ad0s5p2, ad0sp3 and so on. Instead it generates
ad0s5 for all the partitions. That's the problem.

Jochen