Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:48:40 -0600
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Group executable bit quit working?

Just upgraded three systems to 4.5 RC-6 this weekend and I seem to have lost
the ability execute shell scripts or perl scripts that are group executable
only.

The scripts run otherwise if I make them executable by the owner, but having
them g+x doesn't seem to be enough anymore.  I have another system running
4.4 that also exhibits this behavior, so its confusing me.

The scripts in question the 4.5-RC system have been running for years with
permissions of 654.

I'm wondering if some security or permissions change has occured in 4.5 that
would affect this (seems odd, basic execution mode).  Or am I dreaming, and
being a member of a group *and* having a file group executable isn't enough
to run it?