Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:11:04 -0600
From:      Gerd Knops <gerti@bitart.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Random signal 9 (SIGKILL), please help!

Hello,

I have a large software package running on a lot of machines and several Unixes.

Only on the FreeBSD systems I see that child processes occasionaly get killed by
a signal 9, and I just can't figure out why.

Syslog does not give any indication. The machines do not swap (I know processes may
get killed when the systems run out of swap space). The times at which the processes
are killed does seem to be random, meaning it does not seem dome house keeping code
that causes it.

The processes are spawned from various daemons, and are killed at different points
in their existence, even when just barely started and no resources to mention are
consumed yet.

All processes run as root, so 'limit' should not be the cause.

Is there anything else but the swapper that can trigger a 'signal 9' to be sent to
processes?

The systems in question run a variety of versions, starting from 3.2 Release to a
fairly recent (4 weeks) 3.4 stable.

Any tips and ideas would be more than welcome.

Thanks

Gerd