Date:      Wed,  5 Feb 1997 01:01:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert N Watson <rnw+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Subject:   Re: File System Quotas + sendmail

Excerpts from mail: 4-Feb-97 Re: File System Quotas + se.. by Charles
Henrich@crh.cl.m
> In lists.freebsd.questions you write:
>

> >I recently enabled quotas on my various /home* file systems with great
> >success (boy, are quotas a power trip :).  I was wondering what the
> >effects of installing quotas on my /var/mail partition would be?
> >sendmail runs as root, so would it be affected by the quota limitations?
> > I'd like users who send mail to accounts on my system that exceed quota
> >limits on /var/mail to receive a bounce message pointing that out -- do
> >I need to do any specific configuration to get this to work right?
>
> I submitted patches to mail.local quite some time ago -- I believe
they made i
> into the 2.2 tree at that time.  One note you should only run quota's on one
> filesystem on your system or problems may arise (or so the common rumor seems
> to be).  So you might want to move /var/mail to /home/var.mail and make
> /var/mail a link..

I was unable to find reference to the multiple file-system problems
you're referring to on a search of the freebsd-fs list, or questions
(although I admit to not having looked hard on questions :)..  Could you
expound on that a little?  I saw reference to not running it on the root
file system (makes sense), but I have user home directories spread over
several -- /home, /homea, /homeb, /homec, /homed -- which vary by
utility and hard disk/controller in question.. It would be nice to be
able to apply quota's to all.  On a seperate note, I did have (and do
have) them running on all my home partitions (although not on /var,
/usr, or /.)

Thanks for your response -- when 2.2 is released, I'll quota /var/mail/
then, assuming a clear answer on the safety of quota use on all
partitions becomes available.

Thanks,
Robert Watson