Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:39:54 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        fclift@verio.net (Fred Clift)
Cc:        fclift@verio.net (Fred Clift), dillon@earth.backplane.com (Matt Dillon), tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Really odd "BTX halted" problem booting FreeBSD on VALinux

Fred Clift wrote:

> > > Why not edit the partition table after boot1 gets installed?
> >
> > Because you can never make it valid.  By keeping it the same set of
> > illegal values, at least the system can recognise it.
>

> What do you mean it can't be made valid?  fdisk -u and a few keystrokes
> later and I have a valid partition table...  Whats wrong with it?  Really,
> if I'm being dense, sorry -- perhaps I just dont under stand yet -- please
> be patient with me :)

If the PC partition (slice) includes boot1, it is invalid.  A slice
should can't include its own MBR.  If the BSD partition excludes boot1,
it is invalid.  A partition can't exclude its own boot blocks.

Just because fdisk is happy, doesn't mean it's valid.  Just because
it works (for you), doesn't mean it's valid, either. :)

> > A final point:
> >
> >     o  Don't use dangerously dedicated mode.
>
> I'd love to but the tools for automated installs in non-dedicated mode
> dont really exist in a supported way.  One of the things that was pointed
> out in the thread is that disklabel doesn't work inside an fdisk slice.

Disklabel really needs to be rewritten.

> I could use expect to manipulate sysinstall?  So, for now, I use
> dangerously dedicated installs with a hacked fake partition table to work
> around the broken bioses I use.  I just might start using program posted
> in this thread that lets you do labels right in lieu of anything else, or
> perhaps I'll fix disklabel to work right as was suggeseted elsewhere.

Don't sysinstall work in a script mode?  I've never used it, but I
thought it did.

--
Robert Nordier

rnordier@nordier.com