Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 2014 09:19:31 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, freebsd-current Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Voxer using FreeBSD, BSDNow.tv interview

On 19 Oct 2014, at 23:09, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>     (2)  Most devops engineers in web/mobile companies are familiar =
with
>            Linux.  Any differences between Linux and FreeBSD in
> command-line
>            utilities are not show-stoppers, but they are annoyances.
>            Anything FreeBSD could do to help people used to Linux =
would be
> a big
>            help.  Allan Jude even brought up my request to symlink
> /bin/bash (
> =
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2014-September/095483.ht=
ml
> ) :)

I presume that most of the relevant differences are for users / =
developers and not sysadmins?  It's worth noting that GNU coreutils, =
tar, bash, and a load of other things are in the ports repository.  I =
wonder if it's worth having a gnu-userland metaport, perhaps with =
something like the Solaris approach of sticking them all in a different =
tree so that you can just add that to the start of your PATH and have =
all of the GNU tools work by default. =20

David