Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:07:34 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Matthias.Apitz@Sisis.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/resolv.conf with 3 nameservers

guru@Sisis.de wrote:

>El d=EDa Monday, April 10, 2006 a las 10:44:52AM -0400, Ken Stevenson es=
cribi=F3:

> =20
>
>>I think the problem is that once your first server responds with a=20
>>"domain not found", that's considered an answer to your query. It=20
>>doesn't try another DNS server just to see if it gets a different=20
>>answer. If you were to disable the DNS server on 10.0.1.201, then it=20
>>would use xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx or yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy to resolve the query.
>>   =20
>>

>Yes, you're right. It is said in (...) that the fall down only works
>on timeout. I did not read carefully enough, stupid as I am. :-(
> =20

There's nothing to stop you configuring that local nameserver to use=20
your two "backups" for names that it cannot resolve.

You could then leave the two backups in /etc/resolv.conf but if your=20
local nameserver is authoritative for your local domain, then you=20
probably want to know if it goes away, and those backups won't be able=20
to look up names in your local domain.

I'm making some assumptions about why you set things up this way in the=20
first place, and I may be wrong, but there's too little info in your=20
post to give definitive suggestions.

--Alex