Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:16:13 -0500
From:      "Mark Haney" <haney01@email.franklin.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Typical times installing from ports via 56k modem?

Hi,

I'm new to FreeBSD, choosing it about two months ago as my first venture into
the open-source OS world. I installed 4.6.0 from CD, and have updated to 4.7
RELEASE via CVSUP. I also updated my ports collection from CVSUP, but haven't
upgraded any of my installed ports yet.

It took about 1.5 hrs for the CVSUP from 4.6.0 to 4.7, and another 2 hours for
the build (on a P3-500 with 128MB RAM).

My question is... Is it realistic to upgrade via ports with a 56K modem? I tried
installing a few small things via ports, and it worked well, but I'm wondering
how long it will take to download and build things like the XFree86, or GNOME.
Do these things take days, or might I be able to accomplish it overnight?

Thanks in advance for answers to these questions, or any other tips on keeping
FreeBSD up to date via ports and 56k modem. (Please copy me in replies, as I'm
not subscribed to the list.)