Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 2015 20:00:34 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports/Packages and release engineering

--fDlnNM4IELDQL1VUsoEwKAeU5VA7ikuvt

On 14/02/2015 17:45, John Goerzen wrote:
> So, it looks to me that ports is essentially always a -CURRENT tree.  I=

> don't see any reference in the handbook to selecting different branches=

> of ports, or different branches that might happen to match different
> RELEASE versions.  How, then, is quality maintained within the ports?=20
> Is it just luck of the draw on when a local update happens that it gets=

> a version that didn't have a silly bug that got corrected a day later,
> or how do ports get tested before being released to everyone?

Correct.  There can be mistakes committed to the ports.  In fact it
happens reasonably frequently.  However, we do have some quite stringent
requirements about integration testing before and after commits are
made: certainly anyone submitting patches is nowadays asked to provide
'poudriere testport' output showing the package builds successfully and
passes the built-in tests the ports tree uses.  Committers are also
meant to run these sorts of tests before they commit anything, but they
are generally trusted to behave sensibly and don't have to provide proof
of doing so.

There's also an automated testing process which will generate warning
messages to port maintainers / committers if any port fails to build
properly.  So while mistakes do happen, they tend to only affect
individual ports and then for only fairly short periods of time.
Generally you're pretty unlikely to run into problems on that score.

> One thing I know from Debian is that there we often have "transitions"
> from Debian's unstable (roughly -CURRENT) to testing (roughly -STABLE)
> when certain groups of packages have to be transitioned in sync in orde=
> to avoid breakage.  This might be things relating to KDE (such as
> Digikam), or another example is Haskell, where new versions of the
> compiler ghc introduce a different ABI requiring all the Haskell module=

> packages to be rebuilt.  There are plenty of examples, though.  How are=

> these handled in FreeBSD?

Yes.  When really important sub-systems get updated, or changes are made
that affect large numbers of ports, there will be an exp-run, which is
an experimental build of the entire ports tree to ensure everything
still works.

> When packages are updated, what happens to their config files and rc.d
> scripts?  Are files in /usr/local/etc, /etc, {/usr/local,}/etc/rc.d
> never modified automatically, or is the administrator prompted on what
> to do (as in Debian)?  If they are never modified automatically, how
> does a person know what changes to make after an update?

Ports don't put any config files into /etc -- only /usr/local/etc.
Similarly ports only put startup scripts into /usr/local/etc/rc.d --
this division of ports and base is one of the FreeBSD fundamentals,
which I'm sure you'll be recalling from your previous experience now.

Configuration files are *not* owned by ports per-se, so they aren't
necessarily removed or modified when a port is deleted or updated.
Instead the port owns various sample configuration files, which
generally have the same name as the actual config with '.sample'
appended (other naming variations exist, but '.sample' is by far the
commonest.)  These the port will replace at will.  When a port is
installed the first time then the sample config file is copied to the
real config file name.  When the port is removed or upgraded, then the
config file is removed if and only if it is identical to the sample file.=

There isn't a capacity for doing a three-way merge in the ports at the
moment, so if the upstream has made incompatible changes to the config
file format the administrator will have to merge those manually.  This
is fortunately a fairly rare event.  3-way merge capability has been
added to pkg(8) but that capability hasn't been applied to the ports yet.=

> This brings me to the question of how the ports/packages relate to the
> base system.  A couple of things surprised me in researching this
> question: the first being the comment in the Handbook to reinstall the
> entire ports/packages system after a base system upgrade to a new major=

> version, due to ABI incompatibilities.  I would have thought backward
> ABI compatibility would be a pretty important design goal in FreeBSD.=20
> The other thing was that ports are only tested against -CURRENT and
> -STABLE, therefore implying that even the current -RELEASE may not have=

> working ports (let alone even an LTS -RELEASE).  That leaves me
> concerned about the long-term viability of managing FreeBSD systems, bu=
> also wondering if I'm missing out on some important bit of information =
here.

Reinstalling all your ports on a major version upgrade is still a
requirement, yes.  But it is something that may not remain so for a
great deal of time longer, given the advent of symbol versioning in the
base system shared libraries.  While you can still *run* a port
installed for, say, 9.3-RELEASE once you've upgraded to 10.1-RELEASE,
until everything in the base system has appropriate symbol versioning
applied you'll very quickly get into a pickle if you try and update some
ports selectively: effectively you would end up with one binary trying
to dynamically link against two or more different versions of the same
shared library: something that always ends in tears.

So, yes, for now: reinstall all your ports when you do a major version
upgrade.  Note that freebsd-update(8) advises reinstalling all ports
even if you're only doing a minor version upgrade (eg. 10.0 to 10.1)
This is *not* necessary.

> Speaking of which, when the base system is upgraded, how are
> administrator customizations in /etc and related configuration location=
> preserved?  (Same question as with the ports updates above.)

It depends how you go about updating the base system, but all the widely
used methods run you through some sort of 3-way merge process to handle
stuff under /etc and the like.  It's built into freebsd-update(8), and
if you're upgrading by building from source, then you should be running
mergemaster(8) as a standard part of that process.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.