Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:59:30 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
Cc:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about the use of ssh-agent(1)

--o71xDhNo7p97+qVi

Paul Herman wrote:

> The only problem is, it must only be removed on the *last* logout.

Why?  I just have a ssh-agent running all the time, it only stops if I
explicitly kill it for some weird reason, or I reboot, I've never had
any problems with it.  The code I use in .zshrc is like this:

        if source ~/.sshagent.$HOST && ssh-add -l >/dev/null; then
                # it's running OK
                :
        elif [[ $loginname =3D=3D $myname ]]; then
                # clean up any mess
                {
                killall ssh-agent ssh-agent1
                rm /tmp/ssh-*/agent.*
                rmdir /tmp/ssh-*
                } 2>/dev/null

                # start the agent and record it's PID and authentication
                # socket.
                eval `ssh-agent`
                echo    SSH_AUTH_SOCK=3D$SSH_AUTH_SOCK \
                        SSH_AGENT_PID=3D$SSH_AGENT_PID > ~/.sshagent.$HOST
                echo export SSH_AUTH_SOCK SSH_AGENT_PID >> ~/.sshagent.$HOST
        fi

        if [[ $loginname =3D=3D $myname ]]; then
                ssh-add -l | grep -q ben@scientia || ssh-add
        fi

--=20
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D