Date:      Fri, 01 Jun 2001 17:41:13 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: general speed differences between 4.1.1-RELEASE and 4.3-RELEASE

Mike Silbersack wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> > First of all, they do not "run circles" around FreeBSD;
> > they kill the virgin reliability on the alter of the
> > bloody god Benchmark.
>
> Ok, Terry, you've made it clear that you hate IDE, you
> hate linux, and you pretty much hate everything other
> than soft-updates.

Where did I say I hate IDE?  I *do* think manufacturers
should implement to the spec., however.  In limited use
scenarios, it's perfectly adequate.  For example, a
single user machine, a machine that gets wiped and reset
a lot anyway, or using it as a really large boot floppy
that doesn't really put it into the latency path after
boot.  I would consider using it on a server, with write
caching disabled, of course, if I could guarantee that
all of the drives I was going to use supported tagged
command queues.

Where did I say I hate Linux?  I have code in Linux.

Where did I say I love soft updates?  It has value, but
there are some grave architectural concerns which I've
raised over the years, and which remain unaddressed to
this day.

Quit trying to put words in my mouth to make you look
like a wronged reasonable person arguing with an
unreasonable one.

-- Terry