Date:      Thu, 09 Oct 2003 08:39:48 +0200
From:      Falko Meyer <wds_de@yahoo.de>
Subject:   Re: AlphaServer ES-40...

> The mylex is configured with one hot spare disk and 5 disks using RAID-5. I
> can boot the 5.1 Release without any problem, it recognizes the array, says
> itīs online with 32 Gb of capacity, but when I start the installation and go
> to label the disk, there is no disk to label and create partitions.
>
> With the same box, I installed Red Hat 7.2 without any problem but I want
> FreeBSD.

The problem IS that you have installed Linux previously. You need to
clean the first few megabytes of disk space (one or two to be sure).
Things that have been written by Linux confuse the disklabel editor of
FreeBSD. I don't remember exactly how I did this, but it has been
discussed on this list some time ago.

Greets
Falko