Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:52:04 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        Brady Montz <bradym@mail.hydrologue.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VIA crahes - solved (it seems)!

Brady Montz <bradym@mail.hydrologue.com> wrote:

> I've tested the RAM with the various ram testing software out there
> (memtest86 being my favorite). What can I use to test the CPU or
> motherboard?

     Note that software test programs like memtest86 will only catch
gross memory errors.  To catch the really nasty, intermittent ones, you
need a specialized hardware RAM tester, which is probably not an option
here.

     Also, I've looked over your postings for the past month, and I
can't tell if you've tried the obvious: do you have a known good power
supply?  Some motherboards need really clean power, and AMD chips are
power hogs.  Borderline power supplies can easily cause the symptoms
you're seeing.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com