Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 12:41:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Shafia Kausar  <s0k9955@unix.tamu.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        shafiak@ee.tamu.edu
Subject:   Timer Granularity

Hi,
I am new to the FreeBSD OS. I have a few questions for which I could not
find answers on the webpages.

I am using the FreeBSD version 2.1.5 Relase #2. What is the kernel clock
granularity in this version?

There are a number of clocks being used in FreeBSD. Which clock is used
for real time kernel processing? Is this accessible to the users?

Has the timer granularity improved in the releases following this release?

In the /sys/kern/kern_clock.c file the variable time_precision has been
initialised to 1microsec, but it has been stated that the resolution
decreases depending on whether the external clock is working or not.
What is the range of the variation in the resolutuion?

Any help or pointers are welcome.

Thanks
-Shafia