Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 1996 23:28:45 +0100
From:      Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
To:        se@FreeBSD.ORG (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        plm@xs4all.nl (Peter Mutsaers), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Will userconfig work soon again?

>> On Thu, 28 Nov 1996 21:11:18 +0100, se@FreeBSD.ORG (Stefan Esser) said:

    SE> It should work out of the box under -current (as of May 96 :)

    SE> Please send me VERBOSE boot messages (at least the lines dealing
    SE> with the PCI bus and its devices ...)

It is recognized on the PCI bus as an ethernet device, but says: No
driver assigned.

    SE> Please do NOT configure it as an ISA device with the PCI assigned port
    SE> numbers under -current. This will give strange results, if the kernel
    SE> also sees it in the PCI probe (and it really should).

    SE> The PCI NE2000 should be assigned the name ed1, if your kernel config
    SE> file contains "ed0 at isa?". You need the ISA definition of ed0, or
    SE> the PCI probe will not be included. (Is this documented ???)

No: This seems a solution. I haven't tried this. I will try it
immediately.

    SE> If you use a generic kernel with both "ed0" and "ed1" configured, the
    SE> PCI cards would be "ed2", "ed3", ... (any number supported :).

    SE> Please make sure you have the ed0 config line in your kernel config
    SE> file, and send me a verbose boot message log, if it still fails.

OK, I will do this and let you know the result.

Thanks,

--
Peter Mutsaers  |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |  Trust is a good quality
plm@xs4all.nl   |  the Netherlands    |  for other people to have