Date:      Fri, 02 Nov 2001 08:19:12 -0800
From:      Jim Pirzyk <Jim.Pirzyk@disney.com>
To:        Brian Dean <bsd@bsdhome.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rotation of lastlog

As I understood it, lastlog never really grew in size because
there is only 1 entry for each user on your system, and when
the logged in, that entry was updated.  I also though on some
systems, this was a sparse file where the index of your entry
was based on the uid.  How it is in FreeBSD may not be the
same, in that I have not looked into it.

- JimP

Brian Dean wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Perhaps this is a dumb question, but is there any reason _not_ to have
> /var/log/lastlog be rotated via newsyslog like most other log files?
>
> I thought that maybe it was omitted because it is composed of fixed
> format data structures and rotating it at just the wrong time could
> split one of these structures, throwing off alignment.  But I see that
> wtmp is rotated by newsyslog, which has the same issue.
>
> If the above is not a concern or can't happen, or there are no other
> concerns, I'd like to add it.  Any objections?
>
> Thanks,
> -Brian
> --
> Brian Dean
> bsd@FreeBSD.org
> bsd@bsdhome.com

--- @(#) $Id: dot.signature,v 1.10 2001/05/17 23:38:49 Jim.Pirzyk Exp $
    __o   Jim.Pirzyk@disney.com ------------- pirzyk@freebsd.org
 _'\<,_   Senior Systems Engineer, Walt Disney Feature Animation
(*)/ (*)