Date:      Sat, 27 Aug 2011 13:11:42 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        ohauer@freebsd.org
Cc:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>, giffunip@tutopia.com, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How about finally replacing GNATS? (was Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve)

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Olli Hauer <ohauer@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 2011-08-27 21:29, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
>> Hi;
>>
>> --- On Sat, 8/27/11, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com> wrote:

>> I agree it's difficult to determine exactly which tool to
>> use.
>>

>>> With every tool change comes a workflow change and we need
>>> to be able to deal with that. As a member of the bugbusting
>>> team one of the most useful features for me has been the
>>> ability to use shell scripts to change bug states. As a
>>> port maintainer one of the most useful features has been
>>> the ability to use send-pr from the command line
>>> _without registration_.
>
> I'm working with both gnats (on FreeBSD) and bugzilla / Jira on work.
> Both systems have the advantages / disadvantages.
> Bugzilla with A good customized UI, a well designed workflow
> will be an improvement for users, devs, port committers/maintainers.
>
> I don't know how many devs / port committers are working with a
> csup'd gnats database but this and the command line usage is a real
> advantage for me.

    CLI access for GNATS can be achieved via Bugzilla (some SQL fu
involved IIRC), but in all honesty turning off the anonymous
submission functionality might make some of the bugbusters lives
easier (I remember several times that spammers tried pounding the crud
out of GNATS with useless requests). Registration/authentication is a
model that other projects adopt -- why not just do things this way?
Thanks,
-Garrett