Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 1997 16:33:01 -0800
From:      RGireyev@BellInd.com
To:        <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Post installation stuff

>On Tue, 4 Mar 1997 RGireyev@BellInd.com wrote:
>
>> [..]

>> >You are mistaken.  Root's group is wheel.

>> >Probably not.  Only members of group wheel are allowed to su.
>>
>> Hi Ben!
>> Thanks for replying again. If you remember though my original
>> user was part of the group wheel and I still could not su. I cannot
>> wait to get home and look at the code, maybe I'll see something there.
>
>Right, but wheel is still the group that can su.  Did you make sure the
>permissions were right?  What happened when you tried to su?

Doohhh!

Sorry completely forgot to tell you. After getting your mail I went home
and did the following:
1. Logged in as root.
2. which su (gave me the path something like /sbin/su or whatever)
3. the permissions looked as follows -r-sr-xr-x
4. I type chmod 455 /sbin/su
5. did ll, it then looked like: -r--r-xr-x
Still no go, not for a user in group wheel or group bin.

I guess I should note here that it looks like the program executes,
alright, and some snippet of code within it determines that I do not
have the security to perform su. So it kindly spits a message to me
telling me that "You do not have permission to perform su ...."
Thanks again

Rudy