Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 20:35:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Carl McTague <mctague@one.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcmcia trouble

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Carl McTague wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to install FreeBSD on a laptop without a cdrom drive.
> I have a Linksys ``Network Everywhere'' NP10T Ethernet 10BaseT card
> (www.networkeverywhere.com). It's NE2000 compliant.
>
> I've tried the standard 3.4-RELEASE boot floppies as well as those at
> the ``PAO: FreeBSD Mobile Computing Package'' web site
> (www.jp.freebsd.org/PAO).  Neither work.  In both cases, when I get to
> network configuration for the ftp install, there is no option for
> ethernet.  (Only ppp etc.)
>
> I tried netbsd.  As best I can tell, it recognizes the card, but when
> it attempts to ping the name server, it produces `ne2: device timeout'
> and `no route to host' errors.
>
> How should I proceed?

You can try, in a FreeBSD install, the rescan option in the Options
menu.  This might result in a entry for your ethernet card.

You can go to Alt-F4, the holographic shell, and use ifconfig -a and -au
to see what's been found and whether the interface is configured, and
bring it up if you need to.

You can select ftp as the medium from which to install, and then
ppp; put the info in about host and ip address and so forth, and then
when it tells you to go to Alt-F3, don't do it.  The ftp connection
should work.

Worth a try, anyway.

	Annelise