Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 1995 01:21:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@sidwell.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMC Ethernet card (EzEther) in PnP Pentium

I'm about to install FreeBSD 2.0.5R on my new Pentium 120 w/32 megs ram
and 1 gig scsi (it's a gateway 2000, if that helps).  I purchased a set
of EtherEZ SMC cards (10baseT) to hook up to the CMU dorm network.  I
used to run off of SMC Elite Ultra coax cards, and those worked fine, but
I hadn't ralized how different the new cards are.

I have FreeBSD on my 386sx20 (eek!) where it has been running happily (in
various versions) for at least a year.  I'd like to get it on my pentiuma
nd run it full time there to pick up a WWW server and so on.  The plug
and play features on the pentium are rather hyperactive, so I tried
disabling them,.  essentially, I've found that, even using the same
configuration as under my old car, things don't work right.  I get
various errors (timeouts on ed0 on installation attemts, etc.)  The card
is recognized by the driver though, ethernet address, etc.

Does anyone have any experience getting this card to talk to freebsd?  or
vice versa?  I tried hard configuring, but Windows 95 (which I am runingn
until freebsd starts working with the card) has a tendancy to reconfigure
using PnP, but FreeBSD doesn't.

Ah well, advice would be apprecaited.

Robert Watson (rnw+@andrew.cmu.edu) IDS/CS Double Major
School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Carnegie Mellon University
SMC 1605 / P.O. Box 2888 / Pittsburgh, PA 15230-2888 // (412) 862-3197