Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 23:25:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple NAT alias addresses

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> > - Trailing spaces and empty lines are ignored.
> > - A `#' sign will mark the remaining of the line as a comment.
> >
> > Reviewed by:    Ari Suutari <ari@suutari.iki.fi>
> >
> > Perhaps the parser is skipping my redirect_port lines?
> >
> Yeah, I committed this change after one guy had the problems with
> redirect_port's not happening.  He had `#' after `redirect_port' line,
> and natd(8) silently ignored it.  But you said that it works for you
> without specifying publicIP, so this shouldn't be the case here.

Ah, ok.

An update:

I set up a test config at work with some spare boxes.  I found that if you
specify an aliasIP that is the primary alias address (as determined by the
-n or -a options), those redirections will be ignored.  Others continue to
work.  I don't know why they weren't working on the real box, I may had
made a mistake there.

So this file is wrong:

interface fxp0
redirect_port 10.0.0.1:ssh 128.1.1.1:ssh
redirect_port 10.0.0.2:ssh 128.1.1.2:ssh

But this correct:

interface fxp0
redirect_port 10.0.0.1:ssh ssh
redirect_port 10.0.0.2:ssh 128.1.1.2:ssh

There is some logic in natd to handle the wrong case so that it is
equivalent to the right case, but that logic may be flawed.

> I just copied your config file from your original posting, see attached.
> But PLEASE MAKE SURE you have no trailing whitespaces at the end of
> your redirect_port rules!

I'll be sure to keep the whitespace pollution down.

Doug White