Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:56:30 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Solaris 2.x compat. system accounting, sarcheck for fbsd(commercial)

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 08:08:23AM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> >I wrote some performance monitoring utilities and need for
> >example a parameter wait for I/O, that I didn't find in our
> >tools, did I overlook something ?
>
> "wait for I/O" is a System-V state that BSD doesn't measure.
> One of the grey[er] beards may be able to answer why SysV does
> and BSD doesn't consider "wait for I/O" a state worth measuring.

It is a state equal to "idle", with I/O requests pending completion.

The intent is to say "I would be running some process X, but I'm
idle because I'm waiting for I/O".

Part of the problem in reporting this in FreeBSD is the inability
to attribute pending I/O requests e.g. as the result of a fault
by a process or as a result of a fault by the kernel itself.  This
is an artifact of the unified VM and buffer cache.

-- Terry