Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:53:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Konstantin Chuguev <joy@urc.ac.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rpc.statd eats 257M on 3.0-CURRENT

:Hi.
:
:I'm not sure, is it a bug or a feature?
:..
:....................
:  147 root       2   0   257M   256K select   0:00  0.00%  0.00% rpc.statd
:                         ^^^ !!!
                                 ^^^^^
				 RSS is reasonable

     It's because rpc.statd does this:

  /* File now open.  mmap() it, with a generous size to allow for       */
  /* later growth, where we will extend the file but not re-map it.     */
  status_info = (FileLayout *)
    mmap(NULL, 0x10000000, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, status_fd, 0);

    It's stupid code, but the process doesn't actually eat any resources so
    I wouldn't worry about it.  It is an eyesore, though :-(

					-Matt

:What do kernel gurus think about this?
:
:--
:	Konstantin V. Chuguev.		System administrator of Southern

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)