Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 1995 08:03:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multiple mail messages

On Sat, 23 Sep 1995, Nate Williams wrote:

> [ Multiple email messages ]
> >
> > People are generally too lazy to trim the Cc lists even when they know
> > that all recipients are actually on the mailing list.
>
> Actually, I *intentionally* leave people on the Cc lists if I think the
> material is going to be discussed some, since with the bulk_mailer stuff
> it is difficult to discuss topics with any sort of speed, since it may
> take a very long time for the person to get the reply via the mailing
> list.

	now, now, nate.   with bulk_mailer mail will always reach more
people faster than without.   consider the case of a couple slow/bad
addresses in the list.  without bulk_mailer those addresses slow delivery
to everyone.  with bulk_mailer only some subscribers are affected.  (yes
there is a degenerate case in which all subscribers can be affected,
given a set of bad/slow addresses where at least one bad/slow address is
attached to each message generated by bulk_mailer.  but it it rather
unlikely and will be perterbed by the next (un)subscribe to the list)

	you dont really want to return to the bad old days when sending a
mail messages could be a 20 hour affair, do you?

(boy...am i in a cheeky mood this morning!  :)

> > That's why i'm
> > defending myself by dropping my name out of reply-to (ok, Nate, my
> > procmail is still not set up).
>
> *grin*  In case you didn't know, procmail has a 'feature' which allows
> it to filter out duplicate email messges by using the Reference field.
> It's one of many reasons to use procmail.
>

> Nate

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com       | Analysis & Technology, Inc.
FreeBSD Postmaster   jmb@FreeBSD.Org            | 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.                                        | Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life      | 703-418-2800 x346