Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 13:38:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org, smp@csn.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: hackers-digest V1 #1415

> Never, ever, _EVER_ terminate on a drive that is not in the same case as
> the controller.  _Always_ use a terminator that plugs onto the daisy-out
> connector on the last case you're using.

I must be paranoid :-)  Not only do I do that..  if I have an internal
drive (terminated) and expect to add external drives, I unterminate the
controller and plug a terminator into the back of the machine.  :-)

> Wherever possible, use active terminators, and go for the ones that have
> LED's in them so that you can be absolutely certain that they have power.

Agree!  Agree!  More lights never hurt nobody.

As for the connectors war waging elsewhere...

I know "Centronics" is ugly but it's universally understood in my experience
(maybe _because_ it's ugly!)...  and you need a way to distinguish between
four different major types of 50-pin connectors... DB-50, Centronics, HD-50,
and IDC dual-row connectors...

As an additional note, Sun's "new" external desktop storage packs now use
the HD-68 connectors, even for non-wide devices.

... JG