Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:14:01 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@alcove.fr>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, sos@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] New features for libvgl

Nicolas Souchu wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 08:45:19PM +0200, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Now I'm in process of  writing a libvgl driver for SDL (almost finished - I'm
> > testing it right now) and found that two handy features are currently missed
> > from the libvgl: ability to query video modes supported by the video hardware
> > and ability to install custom mouse eventhandler. So I extended libvgl
> > attaching patches with this message. I would like that someone review/comment
> > attached patches. Please also note that VGLListModes() part of these patches
> > are not optimal right now (it largely duplicates VGLInit()), so please
> > concentrate on concept rather than on implementation details.
>
> Isn't your list of modes redundant with the internal data structures of the
> VGA/VESA driver? Why do you list modes if it's not to query a specific one?

I believe that there should be possibility to do both these things, i.e. (1) query
list of available modes using some filter, so the aplication/toolkit will be able to
select one that matches its needs, and (2) let the video driver select the best one
given certain constrains. For example SDL provides a possibility to at least emulate
mode if is not directly available from video hardware, so it need to know what the
alternatives are.

I'm not very adamant about using internal data structures of video driver, because
they are too generic and include too much irrelevant details. Probably we should
extent VGLBitmap to include missing bits (depth, masks, etc).

> [skip]

Well, it's nice, but I'm not sure how it would work in the case of more high level
toolkit (like SDL). As I said earlier, application can request an arbitrary mode,
i.e. 349x246x19, so we have to do some adjustments before passing these parameters
to the video driver- to do this we should know what the alternatives are.

> About the mouse stuff, what is the exact usage of MousePointerShow? It's
> not documented in the manpage.

It's internal VGL function used to draw a mouse pointer at the screen.

-Maxim