Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:51:55 CDT
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@iastate.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   IDE Questions

Is there anyone successfully using an IBM 75GXP with an Abit KT7-Raid
motherboard?  I am using stable from a couple days ago, and am having
some problems getting it to work.

If the disk is attached to the onboard IDE, the kernel spews a bunch
of these

ad2: UDMA ICRC WRITE ERROR blk# 1457759 retrying

and then falls back to PIO mode, which is unacceptable.  (ie. it
transforms my Athlon 900 into a turd.  For any moderate amount of
disk activity, I get 100% CPU utilization, and it is very much
non-interactive.)  I have the proper cables, and have observed
this on two seperate KT7 motherboards.

Is the KT7 onboard IDE just busted? (I wouldn't be at all surprised,
considering how horribly broken the BIOS boot ordering is, not to
mention the soft power issues, etc.  For a board that comes so
highly recommended, I'm not terribly impressed.)

When I attach the disk to the Highpoint 370 controller, the
machine wedges after a short while.  Is the support for this
chipset in stable up to date?  Also, are there any plans to
merge the support for tagged queueing?

Thanks,
Chris