Date:      Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:03:20 +0100
From:      Milan Obuch <stable@dino.sk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wireless, ndis problems on Compaq TC1000 Tablet running 6-STABLE

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 21:39, John Nielsen wrote:
> After successfully installing FreeBSD 6.0 on a Compaq TC1000 Tablet PC (and
> updating it to yesterday's -STABLE), I am trying to get the built-in
> wireless to work.  The wi(4) driver does not attach to it.  Under Windows,
> the card shows up as a "Compaq 802.11b WLAN Mini-PCI" card (although it is
> not in the user-accessible Mini-PCI slot).  Pciconf gives this:
>
> none4@pci0:10:0:        class=0x020000 card=0x00d30e11 chip=0x05061114
> rev=0x11 hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'Atmel Corp.'
>     device   = 'AT76C506 802.11b Wireless Network Adaptor'
>     class    = network
>     subclass = ethernet
>
> (Full pciconf -lv output attached).
>
> My first question: is there a chance it would be trivial to make this card
> work with the wi(4) driver?  ISTR reading this morning that this was a
> Prism chip, although now I can't find that again.

Your pciconf output shows actual device - AT76C506. Unfortunately, datasheet
available only under NDA, driver available only for Linux (see at
atmelwlandriver.sf.net). Need binary firmware as well... I would like to see
it supported, but I see no way without much work.

> Undaunted, I moved on to ndis(4).  Using wine(1), I was able to extract a
> driver from SP23100.exe, obtained from hp's website.[1]  I fed
> netcwl200.inf and cwl200.sys to ndisgen(8), and was rewarded with a
> successfully compiled cwl200_sys.ko.
>
> Unfortunately, the machine panics as soon as the module is loaded, with the
> following output (transcribed by hand, typos possible):

All I got was just the same, maybe not exactly, but gross outcome is it does
not work. Out of ideas, no help. Sorry.

> tablet# kldload cwl200_sys
> isab1: <PCI-ISA bridge> at device 7.4 on pci0
> device_attach: isab1 attach returned 6
> no match for swprintf
> isab1: <PCI-ISA bridge> at device 7.4 on pci0
> device_attach: isab1 attach returned 6
> ndis0: <Compaq 802.11b WLAN Mini-PCI> port 0x1c00-0x1cff mem
> 0xe8030000-0xe803ffff at device 10.0 on pci0
> ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.1
> ntoskrnl dummy called...
> ntoskrnl dummy called...

> fault virtual address   = 0x0
> fault code              = supervisor write, page not present
> instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xc3bf70d8
> stack pointer           = 0x28:0xd6cbc62c
> frame pointer           = 0x28:0xd6cbc844
> code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process         = 571 (kldload)
> trap number             = 12
> panic: page fault
>
> Which leads to my second question:  should ndis be expected to work with
> this device?  Assuming the answer is yes, what else can I do to track down
> the problem?  A complete (verbose) dmesg from the system is attached.
>
> Any input will be much appreciated.  Thanks!
>
> JN
>
> [1] See
> http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Compaqtabletpc/us/download/19836.ht
>ml

By the way, how did you install 6.0 there? I am working with TC1000 too, but
it looks almost impossible to install FreeBSD without keyboard. Just would
like to know possibilities - I tried 7.0 but ACPI does not work (does not
boot even, only with ACPI disabled).
Regards,
Milan