Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:26:34 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Michael Robinson <robinson@public.bta.net.cn>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: green threads vs. native threads ...

> Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com> writes:
> >> Would it be a moot point to ask for the FreeBSD kernel to support native
> >> threads?
> >
> >Sure.  Patches to implement them are gladly accepted.  Oh, you mean
> >forcing someone to implement threads in FreeBSD?  Naw, that's not the
> >way it's done.  New features get done because someone thems to be done
> >and does them.
>
> That's one way of looking at it.  Here's another way of looking at it:
>
>  "A good example of keeping sight of the larger picture is FreeBSD's
>   attitude towards its Linux emulation.

[ Marketing type deleted ]

That doesn't matter a whole lot if there isn't any technology added to
keep the emulation up to date.  It's one thing to say 'Linux emulation
is important to us', it's a completely other thing to say 'we don't have
sufficient BSD copyrighted technology to completely emulate all of the
Linux kernel functions'.

If you don't have, you don't have it.  And, patches are gladly accepted.

Nate