Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 1996  8:40:09 UTC-0800
From:      Gerald Neufeld <neufeld@cs.ubc.ca>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org (return)
Subject:   DHCP?

The good news is that I now have an ADSL line into my FreeBSD box at home.
The bad news is that the ISP supports only DHCP. From what I can tell,
FreeBSD does not directly support DHCP (is this correct?). However, there
is the WIDE project that supports it (DHCP) on a variety of UNIXs but not
very well (it seems) on FreeBSD. I did get it. It does not compile out of
the box but I think I got around that. Now it seems to need Berkeley Packet
Filters (bpf).

My question is: has anyone got DHCP operational (I only need the client
part). If you have, please let me know. I would also be interested in knowing
if there are any future plans for DHCP and FreeBSD. (Our university has
put Ethernet plugs into all the libraries for lap-tops; again only supporting
DHCP.)

Thanks,
Gerald