Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 19:11:26 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Coidan Sm rgrav <finrod@ewox.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: s/bpfilter/bpf/

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:

> > While in Arnhem, I discussed renaming the bpfilter pseudo-device to
> > bpf. There seemed to be agreement that it would be more consistent
> > (amongst other items, the device nodes are named /dev/bpf*, and the
> > man page is bpf(4)).
>
> I agree that this change is overdue, but I also wonder whether or not
> you could do this so that ``pseudo-device bpfilter'' would continue to
> be a synonym for bpf.  It wouldn't appear in any documentation or be
> suggested, but would at least continue to work for those with old
> config files.

Or even better have something at 'config' time that says:

"Warning - BPFILTER is being phased out! Please replace 'bpfilter' with
'bpf' in future"

(This is coming from somone who knows not a lot how 'config KERNEL' works,
but is still impressed when it spots things like un-specified controllers
for wired down SCSI devices) ;-)

Regards,

Karl