Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 22:52:05 +0100 (BST)
From:      Joshua Goodall <joshua@roughtrade.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: flags on symlinks

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Terry Lambert wrote:

> In fact, "man chflags", and look at the "-L" argument... I
> could make a good argument that it should operate on the
> link itself, if given a "-l" (currently unused) argument.

That was my expected result until I read the manpage completely and
followed-up through the code. Initial testing and a trawl through the code
shows that all ufs symlinks, at least, are first-class vnodes and support
flags. NFS returns EOPNOTSUPP, cd9660, union etc returns EROFS.

> Pushing the link following semantics into the kernel, instead
> of the C library, was a mistake in the first place; it precludes
> easy implementation of things like variant symbolic links,which
> are easily handled in a user space library routine that wraps
> the actual system call.

Possibly, but shouldn't we be wary of changing syscall semantics?
Especially in code that relates to securelevels.

I guess there is general agreement that it is desirable to be able to set
schg,sunlink etc on symlinks and fifos.

The consistency argument goes like this:

Currently exposed as accessor methods to VOP_SETATTR are:
chmod(2), fchmod(2), lchmod(2)
chown(2), fchown(2), lchown(2)
chflags(2), fchflags(2)

History records that the semantics for following symlinks in chown & chmod
date from 4.4BSD.

Since I have been a freebsd admin for some years without giving anything
back, I would like to put this together.

Joshua