Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 1997 22:30:47 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Decent case for an Asus Dual PPro ?

On Mon, Dec 01, 1997 at 01:20:34PM +1030, Mike Smith wrote:
> > Hi all. I just picked up one of those Asus Dual PPro boards - the
> > P6UP5 main board with the C-P6ND daughter card. The thing seems really
> > hot (pun intended), and I'm looking forward to trying out
> > FreeBSD-3.0/SMP on it!
> >
> > The only problem is that the only case I could find to fit it in was
> > a super el-cheapo minitower that I could yank the 3.5" cage out of
> > (to accomodate the long daughter card). This case sucks, and if I leave
> > the metal enclosure on it gets much too hot for my comfort.
> >
> > So I'm wondering if anyone could recomend a decent case that works
> > well with this Asus daughter card stuff.
>
> What footprint is this board?  You might want to consider buying a
> "real" chassis for it; either a rack case (moderately expensive, but
> very robust) or a decent server tower.  Have a look at supermicro's
> site for some ideas on what real boxes look like.  You should be able
> to find someone in your area (Ottowa?) that carries their stuff.

It's a 3/4 AT footprint - but that's not the problem. The daughter
card that the CPUs are on plugs into what would normally be the
"top" PCI slot, and extends all the way across the board. This mean
that pretty much all cases that have the 3.5" hard-drive/floppy
cage hanging down over the board are useless since it blocks the
daughter card... I'm actually just outside Toronto, which means
there's almost certainly someone in Toronto that actually carries
real cases - the problem is finding them! I called about 20 PC shops
in the phone book, none of which had a decent case. Arghh. I gave
up and figured if someone was having success with a company that will
ship me one I'd do that. I may look for some toronto newsgroups and
post there looking for recomendations. Unfortunately for me, time
is a factor...

I'm starting to think that a rack may be the way to go, since I have
a couple hubs and maybe 1 or two other PCs I wouldn't mind stacking in
a corner and freeing up some desk space. I guess this is the first
time that I've built a "real" server farm, so I've never had to deal
with rack mount chassis, and real PC cases before. :-)
It's sort of fun! You certainly get into frustration with the local
generic PC clone shops though, who don't know anything about building
reliable, redundant PCs.... I was *very* close yesterday to giving up
on building a real fileserver out of a PC, and caving in and giving
Network Appliance a call. :-)

I just opened the SuperMicro page - cool stuff. Looks like they'll
have what I'm looking for, I'll call them and find out who in my
area carries their goods. Thanks for the tip.

cya,
-Mark

P.S. I just spent the last hour ripping apart a 10 year old SGI
"floor wheeling" box - wow. Talk about a different era in computing
when the construction of cases was actually an engineers job! I'm
planning on stripping it out and figuring out a way to mount 1 or
2 PC motherboards, a couple power supplies, and some HDs in there
and turning the old gem into a PC power server in disguise :-)

> mike

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU