Date:      Wed, 28 May 1997 14:52:53 -0500
From:      mdmartin@playtexnet.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FW: xntpd using UTC -Reply

Didn't work.  It looks like xntpd gets its idea of timezone from the
startup config you set with tzsetup, and I can't find an option anywhere
to set the time to UTC or GMT.

You would think xntpd would read the TZ variable if it is set, but
apparently it is ignored.

 ----------
From:  ROBERTC@PII.COM
Is your cmos set to localtime?
If so then set you cmos to UTC, and remove the /etc/wall_cmos_clock file.
(I haven't tried this myself.)

             [RC]

>>> <mdmartin@playtexnet.com> 05/23/97 01:04pm >>>
I am setting up a FreeBSD box (2.1.7.1) as an xntpd server for our local

net.  I want people to be able to coordinate their Win95 PC's using
AtomTime95 or some such utility.

Using AtomTime, I am able to get time service from the FreeBSD box but it

comes back as EST/EDT time when AtomTime is expecting UTC.  I tried
setting the default timezone in FreeBSD to UTC but could not find an
option for it.

I need some way to:

1)  Set the FreeBSD box so that xntpd returns UTC time, either by setting

UTC as the default time zone or
 configuring an offset into xntpd's answers.  (Or some other option?)
2)  Get a Win95 utility which can be set to expect EST/EDT time.

3)  Or some other option?

Thanks.

Dan Martin
Playtex Apparel