Date:      Fri, 01 Jun 2001 17:49:39 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Jiangyi Liu <gzjyliu@public.guangzhou.gd.cn>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to recompile kernel after minor changes?

Jiangyi Liu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After just changing a little in sys/kern/kern_sig.c, how can I rebuild
> the kernel fast? I think it should not take such a long time as 'make
> buildkernel' does. Anyway, just kern_sig.c need to be recompiled and
> the kernel can be linked. So how do you guys do in such case?

Use this to build the kernel:

1st time:

	cd /sys/i386/conf
	cp GENERIC MYKERNEL

1st time, and any time yo modify the contents of MYKERNEL:
	cd /sys/i386/conf
	config MYKERNEL
	cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
	make depend

Each time you want to build a kernel, after a change:

	cd /sys/compile/MYKERNEL
	make

If it works, to run on the new kernel:

	make install
	sync
	reboot

If it doesn't boot, at the boot prompt when it is counting
down, hit the spacebar, and type:

	unload
	boot kernel.old

Once booted, if you want to ignore your changed kernel:

	cd /
	chflags noschflg kernel modules
	mv kernel kernel.bad
	mv modules modules.bad
	mv modules.old modules
	mv kernel.old kernel

I have a shell script for this las, which does everything
automatically, and checking for mistakes automatically,
called "badkernel".  If someone is willing to check it in,
I'll provide it.

-- Terry