Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 11:42:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dave Bodenstab <imdave@mcs.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tlambert@primenet.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, mkn@emailbox.hdtv.lucent.com
Subject:   Re: Unsupport calls

> From: Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
>
> > About the only serious one I can see is plock.  Maybe somebody else on
> > the list can comment.
>
> It is trivial to implement p/v semaphores using __asm__ to generate
> single instruction spinlocks; since the VM/buffer cache is unified,
> this will work on shared memory/mmap'ed files without needing a
> special system call to guaranteee lock coherency.

>From my old system 5 reference (when the OS used swapping rather than
paging):

  plock(2) - lock process, text, or data in memory

  #include <sys/lock.h>
  int plock( int op );

  Plock allows the calling process to lock its text segment, its
  data segment, or both into memory.  Locked segments are immue to
  all routine swapping.  Plock also allows these segments to
  unlocked.  The effective user ID of the calling process must be
  super-user.  OP is one of:

  PROCLOCK - lock text and data
  TXTLOCK - lock text
  DATLOCK - lock data