Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 1998 16:55:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Tcl/Tk ports collection problems with /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk

I'm not sure how I got to this point, but, I am now unable to recompile
any of the Tcl/Tk ports.  I get messages which demand that I delete
all evidence of previous Tcl/Tk installations.  These messages seem
to be coming from the included /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk; but, in any
case, many of the existing apps need older versions like 7.5/4.1, 7.6/4.2.
so deleting them, and every app depending on them,  doesn't seem like
what I really want to do.  e.g. chances are cvsup will break.
Of course, I did upgrade to 3.0-current last week, so, I'm guessing
this is related to that, but, I'm not sure if that is the "problem"
or if it is some other kind of operator error that I did to myself.

The messages look like:

===> tcl-8.0.2 : You have an old tk installation on your machine.  Remove
everything that matches /usr/*/*tk* first.

[or /usr/local/*/*tk*]

As usual, pardon me if this is a really dumb question.  I'm just
wondering if there is a way to recover from this relatively
painlessly...

-Hugh LaMaster

  Hugh LaMaster, M/S 258-5,     ASCII Email:  hlamaster@mail.arc.nasa.gov
  NASA Ames Research Center     Or:           lamaster@nas.nasa.gov
  Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000  No Junkmail:  USC 18 section 2701
  Phone:  415/604-1056          Disclaimer:   Unofficial, personal *opinion*.